Allowing the Sunlight InsideFurnishings and easy window treatments can change an ordinary deck into a warm-weather family space. Maximize the capacity of a confined patio by producing a family space that's comfy much of the year.
In the room at right, interior designer Susan Heller wanted a living area that also would work as a potting shed and mini-greenhouse. She browsed pre-owned stores, flea markets, and salvage places to discover furnishings to create a welcoming living space.
Thrift-store tables are helpful for books and drinks, and a rustic table arranges houseplants. Wall-hung frosted glass vases include a refined balance to plants in baskets and pots.
To provide the patio a breezy and casual feel, sheer muslin squares, hemmed and hung pennant-style from bamboo rods, let light in and soften the screens. (If sun control is a concern, replacement roll-up bamboo blinds.) The bamboo rods snap into closet-rod holders attached to both sides of the deep window frame.
If you wish to develop your very own garden space, keep these decorating pointers, from the Better Homes and Gardens ® Garden Style book (see book summary below), in mind:
• Be careful not to upstage the outdoors. Windows not only allow the light, however the natural environments as well. Work the landscapes into the overall image.
• Keep the renovating easy. Chaise lounges, for example, are natural decorating options because they are low slung and don't block the view. Exposed wood legs produce a lighter in weight, more open look.
• Use rug to pull the various aspects of the space together.
• Select a focal point and decorate around it. Attempt grouping furniture around a pedestal with a potted plant on top.
• Use window coverings minimally to manage the inbound light however not mess the architecture. Pleated shades diffuse the light to a soft glow and stack to within 2 inches. Some tones can be operated by remote control; there's no fret about cables and they're an excellent option to windows in high places.
• Accessorize with things that have indicating to you.
• Add touches of plant to warm and soften the room.
Exactly how to Order Garden Style
Much better Houses and Gardens ® Garden Style shows you how to use outside and indoor spaces, plants, furnishings, art, and devices to reveal garden style in any region. Within this 224-page hardcover book, more than 400 color photos, 5 before-and-after makeover jobs, and 300 resources for finding ornamental furnishings, devices, and plants across the nation influence you to give the outdoors inside year-round. look at this website